Zombie Haiku can be connected to some of Edgar Allan Poe's classical works, the one I found the most connections to was The Tell-Tale Heart.
http://www.literature.org/authors/poe-edgar-allan/tell-tale-heart.html
What is Edgar Allan Poe's writing style?
- Among the public, Poe is known primarily for his mastery of the Gothic genre. Gothic literature has a number of conventions, including subjects such as death, horror, suggestions of the supernatural, and dark exotic locations, such as castles and crumbling mansions.
- Although Zombie Haiku is intensely fun, it is also similar to the Gothic genre. It is creepy, dark, and has strong suggestions to the supernatural. This entire novel, as I have stated before, is about society turning into Zombies. The subject of death is presented over and over again throughout the novel. This is all very similar to the Gothic genre, and to Poe's writing style.
For this I am going to choose quotes from both texts to parallel each other.
- "The disease had sharpened my senses, not destroyed, not dulled them"(Poe).
- "Something is not right. If my blood is in puddles. Why do I feel strong?" (Mecum).
- "...I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus ride myself of the eye for ever" (Poe).
- "My instinct steers me to my gourmet dinner feast, a nursing home" (Mecum).
- "Presently, I heard a slight groan, and I knew it was the grown of mortal terror" (Poe).
- "She's in the kitchen, scared and screaming her lungs out--which I will soon see" (Mecum).
- "But the beating grew louder! I thought the heart must burst" (Poe).
- "Soon, they'll have to choose. They're out of food and starving. Die in there, or run" (Mecum).
Great work here, Lindsey. I really like this sort of text comparison. I'm sure it's useful for teachers.
ReplyDeleteAs for the blog, I think that adding a link to Mecum's homepage and photos of the book covers would add to your blog's usefulness and aesthetics. Also, be sure that the spacing appears the way you want it too. Some of this post's spacing is funky.